Your hands are strong enough but still seem to be not able to hit that new PR of yours? Huh, what’s going on?
It can happen, it’s not our grip strength itself, that becomes limiting factor.. but the fact how well we are able to grab the object we want to lift. In short: Friction.
The palms of our hands tend to sweat a lot during performing heavy-duty tasks, so it’s only natural that the surfaces of the items you grab, become more slippery.
How to fix that problem? Well, one of the easiest..
..& most logical ways is to use gym chalk blocks.
A small upgrade, but makes very big difference.
Why Should You Choose Block-Type of Chalk?
What are the Pros & Cons with Block-Style Chalk?
Wastes Less & Lasts Longer
- Improves Grip Strength – It comes down to simple physics, the key is to add friction between your hands & the object you want to lift up
- Removes Moisture From Hands – The more aggressive your work out regime, the more your hands going to sweat. Chalk helps to dry up sweat
- Block Chalk is Less Messy – The individual packages alleviate messy loose chalk – You can rub your hands against block to get exact amount chalk you need
- Can be Broken Down to Powder – Conveniently packed in block shapes, plus you can choose how to break it down to smaller bits, or powder
- Block-Chalk is the Cheapest – It’s the most basic, traditional form of chalk. It’s usually sold in larger amount, than other types, for convenient price
- Excellent for Every Athlete – It’s great chalk for power lifters, bodybuilders, weight lifters, rock climbers, cross fitters, & weekend warriors.. you name it!
- Conveniently Packed – Usually block-chalk is being sold & comes in 1 lb /450 g box that contains 8 x individual 2 oz / 56 g chalk blocks
- 100% Magnesium Carbonate – Simple yet the most effective stuff available – It’s highest quality gym chalk for removing moisture from hands
- Lasts Longer, Wastes Less – Using individual packages & small blocks alleviate messy loose chalk, making it waste less & last much longer – Months if not even years..
- Excessive Use Damages Skin – This one goes with ANY chalk – You need to wash your hands properly each & every time after using chalk. This is no joke, as a drying agent, it will eventually damage your palms of hands, in case you don’t clean them thoroughly enough.
- Causes Little Bit Mess – One of the native, default perks that comes with using chalk – Your hands get covered with chalk & also the equipment you’re using. Situation can get messy. That’s the reason why several gyms won’t allow using chalk in their facility.
- Using Chalk is Not Allowed in Every Gym – Oddly, some casual-style, mainstream gyms might not allow you to use chalk in their training rooms. It’s the policy they use to keep rooms cleaner & perhaps spare some of their delicate machinery in that particular way.
GSC Gym Chalk
92 out of 100
92 out of 100
Ader Gym Chalk
92 out of 100
All Three of these Block-type Chalks are Equally, Highly-Ranked by Amazon Customers
These are 100% Magnesium Carbonate based products
What if You’re Looking for Another Alternative?
In Case You’re Wondering – Yes, There are Other Types of Chalks Available
3 Different Styles
In this review I’ve outlined the possible Top 3 of Block-Style Chalk brands, but remember..
There are many more of them, & also 2 additional styles of chalk, that are common & easily accessible for you.
One of them is in powder shape & the other, perhaps more modern one, is in liquid shape. Regardless of which one you pick, each one of those are convenient & easy to use. It’s mostly about matter of personal taste, the effects are the same.
This is the one style covered in this particular topic. A regular chalk in it’s most simple form.
This style of chalk is typically shaped & cut into convenient block shapes by manufacturer to make its use more convenient for user.
Nothing complicated, rub it on your hands & you’re ready to lift.
It stays in one piece & if needed can be easily break down into pieces & eventually into powder shape.
Exactly the same stuff as block-style chalk, it’s simply being ground & refined into powder shape.
It’s almost a dust, so it’s messy & easily becoming airborne.
That’s pretty much all that it is. The differences between powder-style chalks are depending on how well refined the powders actually are.
The more it’s been broken down to smaller pieces the smoother the overall texture likely feels on hands.
This is an interesting one. A chalk that’s contained in a bottle,
to store it in a liquid shape.
It’s made of alcohol, magnesium carbonate, thickener& fragrance. This one is a great alternative to regular chalk to get the job done.
A big plus with this one, it’s not airborne at all, making it one of the cleanest solution available.
If you seek a least messy solution, this is definitely a way to go.
Liquid-Style Chalk is hands-down the cleanest solution since it’s almost non-airborne
Therefore, liquid chalk is usually also allowed in the gyms that won’t allow the use of other regular chalk
Why Some Chalk Products are Twice as Expensive as Regular Chalk?
This is where things get a bit more tricky – Expensive chalks contain & are specifically imbued with essential oils
Why? To spare your hands & contribute into your overall long-term hand health
That fact alone means this chalk likely costs double what regular chalk does.. & for a very good reason. But is it better for you? Absolutely, if you’re an avid weight lifter, climber or gym goer, you’re likely using chalk very frequently.
In some cases, using it almost too frequently, so it’s an upgrade. It’s definitely not mandatory but can eventually come to that point where you should invest smarter & into more sophisticated equipment – Same thing goes with chalk.
This is no secret that chalk is a drying agent that will damage the skin on your hands, if you’re not using it for weeks or months, but year after year. In long-term cases such as this, it’s much better idea to invest into higher quality chalk.
It’s completely optional but in a long shot, highly recommended to prevent an injury or two. If you’ve had experience with torn calluses, then you know exactly how annoying that kind of injury can be – Not only does it limit you, but can disable you completely, & prevent you from doing what you do, plus there’s also associated nagging pain that comes along with it.
So, why not avoid these things altogether as much as possible? The more you contribute into hand health-care, the better your overall performance. If that’s important for you, a high-end chalk imbued with essential oils can be ideal pick.
If longevity is paramount for you, every little bit helps – Getting stronger is marathon no a race
Here’s also an example for you, one of my favorite chalks imbued with essential oils
Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you enjoyed reading this topic & learned something new about different types of chalks along the way.
Have you used these products OR some similar product? Whats your training experience alike?
I’d love to hear from you!
Feel free to ask for assistance & share your thoughts by leaving a comment.